Places IndexPlaces Index https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Heredis Help Knowledgebase Heredis Help Knowledgebase https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg
Heredis attaches considerable importance to the places where your ancestors lived. By its structured data entry, it identifies places in many countries and views them on an inter-active map. You get closer to the lives of your ancestors by discovering their geographical environment. Did they live in a forest, near a river, in a large city or small village?
Info • You were using a software that did not have a defined structure for places? Heredis studies your GEDCOM file and identifies the largest possible number of locations, offering you this essential feature for effective knowledge of your past.
Places assigned to events are displayed in the Personal Data screen by selecting each event. You can consult the list of all places in your genealogy in the Places panel or in the Places Index. Places referring to immediate family members appear in the History > Migrations tab as well as in the Search tab.
See also Indexes: generalities article to know more about tools available for all indexes.
Assign an existing place to an event
Drag and drop
1. Select the event from the Personal Data tab.
2. Drag the place from the Places panel and drop it on the display area of the event. The place is displayed in the Place field. Other details of the location are displayed above the Place field.
(Windows) Drag a place from Places panel > drop in the event
(Mac) Drag a place from Places panel > drop in the event
In the Details fields of the event
1. Type the name of the place in the Place field, without bothering about upper or lower case. With the first letters, Heredis displays a list of places that may match your entry. The displayed list offers in the upper part, places already registered in this genealogy, and below the places recognized by Heredis.
(Windows) Input a place in Details tab of an event
(Mac) Input a place in Details tab of an event
2. Select a place using the mouse or use the up and down arrow keys and confirm the place selected with the Enter.
Create a new place and assign it to an event
If no proposed place matches the place you want to enter,
- (Windows) fill in the case and click on the tab key to add this new place to the index
- (Mac) select New Place at the top of the list.
A window opens, complete the various administrative details of the new place, use the automatic research (available in Map tab on Windows) to locate the place. Once the data completed and press OK. The new place will be added to the Places Index.
(Mac) New Place window
(Windows) New Place window
Create a new place to be assigned later
- Display the Places panel or open the Places Index.
- Click (Add New Place).
- Enter the name of the place. With the first letters, Heredis proposes a list of known places which may match your entry. By choosing one of these known places, the different administrative fields and geolocation of the place will be filled in automatically.
- Click on Fill up to complete the fields or on Replace to replace all fields.
- If no place corresponds to the place you want to enter, complete the input field with the various administrative levels of the new place and press OK.
A new place has been created but it is not yet assigned to an event. This place will now be proposed in the list of existing places when you type in the Places field of an event. It will also be in the Places index and Place panel.
(Mac) Enter new place for old name of city
(Windows) Enter new place for old name of city
Information for the place
The input and modify screen of the place contains items to be filled in, a Notes field, an assigned media field, a display field for a map, and a field reserved for geolocation if it is not known.
Input fields for the place
Each administrative item has a separate input field. This organization method allows you to edit documents by town, region, country and facilitates the geolocation of the place where your ancestors lived.
Complete the fields City – Postal Code – County – State/Province – Country.
If you know them, you may also complete the Latitude and Longitude fields. However they will be filled automatically when the geolocation of the town will be done.
(Mac) Administrative item
(Windows) Administrative item
Tick Handle Characters Manually box if you don’t want the default Heredis Preferences to apply for formatting the place.
For further details on automatic filling of places, see Heredis’ Preferences\Choose the recognized places.
Enter information about the place in the Note field, for example the history of this place. You have available the text editing tools to format the note.
Tick the Private Note box to exclude exports of the note or printed documents.
(Mac) Place’s Note
(Windows) Place’s Note
Media assigned to the place
To assign one or more media to a place:
• Click the (Add a Media) button in the display field of the media.
• (Mac) Drag and release the media selected from Media panel or from the Finder.
(Mac) In Place index, area to add a media
(Windows) In Place index, area to add a media
Mac Info • The right-click menu in the display field of the media provides access to the Add New Media option.
Subdivisions tab inform you of subdivision attached to the selected place.
(Windows) Places index
(Mac) Places index
By clicking on the pencil button, you can geolocate the selected subdivision.
The button allows you to replace a subdivision by an other one, if for example, you entered “main street” and “Main Street”.
Also check Geolocating place subdivisions.
Geolocate a place
When the place is recognized by Heredis, it is geolocated. In this case, the latitude and longitude are inserted automatically and the map of the location may be displayed.
(Windows) Entering a new place
(Mac) Entering a new place
Info • View places not geolocated in the Places Index by clicking on the Latitude or Longitude fields. If these fields are empty, you will have to create the geolocation manually.
1. Double-click the place in the Places Index or click the pencil icon (Edit and modify the selected place) to open the enter/modify screen of the selected place.
2. Click the Search button in the geolocation field. Heredis will consult various databases of global importance to find the place you entered.
Info • This function is only available if you are connected to the Internet.
3. Click each of the proposals and observe the map that is displayed to clearly define which corresponds to the place you entered.
4. Edit your entry.
• Click Fill up to geolocate the place with the appropriate proposal while retaining the elements that you had already entered.
(Windows) Fill up Places index data
(Mac) Fill up Places index data
Info • This will retain your original entry for the old name of a province or administrative division that has been changed.
• Click Replace should you have entered incorrect data for this place. Heredis replaces the contents of input fields with the information found online.
Validate the input/modify screen by clicking OK to complete the changes to the geolocation of the place.
(Windows) Replace Places index data
(Mac) Replace Places index data
For further details see Geolocating Places.
Delete a place
- Select the place to delete
- Click on the button
Heredis checks if the place is used, if so you won’t be able to erase.
As for surname, given names and occupation, you can add variants to a place. Just double-click on the place you want to add a variant then use the button in the variant area to choose a variant. Don’t forget to choose the main variant by clicking on the button. To delete a variant click on the button.
For further details see Indexes: generalities.
- Posted In:
- Use Heredis