Media IndexMedia Index https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Heredis Help Knowledgebase Heredis Help Knowledgebase https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg
Read also the article Indexes: generalities for tools available on all indexes.
The media index is fed each time you add a media in Heredis. Whether it is a source media, a person, a union, an event, a place, etc.
For more details, please consult the Media article.
Open the Media Index
- from the Tools menu > Media index,
- from the toolbar ,
- (Mac) or by clicking the Index button in the Media panel toolbar.
In the Search section, type in the name (or part of the name) of the media you are looking for. The number of items matching your search is displayed right underneath the search section.
(Windows) Media Index
(Mac) Media Index
(Mac) Click the Magnifying Glass icon to select the search mode: “Search Starts With” or “Search Contains” the letters typed in.
In order to delete or replace the searched word, click on the (Windows) or (Mac) , which appears in the input area.
- The search can be limited to a single type of media by selecting it from the drop-down menu: All media, Image files, Audio files, Video files, Other types, Missing Media, Private.
- Filter your search according to the type of data the media is assigned to by selecting in the other drop-down menu: All/Whole index, Persons, Families, Sources, Events, Surnames, Given Names, Places, Unused Media, etc.
To better identify the selected media:
- Choose to display a list or icons according to the name of the media or to the date you have entered.
- Sort the media by name or date. You can also enlarge the icons using the zoom cursor.
Info • If you choose to display a list instead of icons, the results displayed as a list can be sorted according to the presence of a Note (N), of a Private media (P), or according to their name, by simply clicking on the column header.
If a media is selected on the list, you can consult the data it is related to by clicking the Usage tab. Double-click the data you are interested in and it will be displayed in a new window.
Searching for missing media
Check missing media
You have imported a file from an earlier version of Heredis or GEDCOM? If the original location of the media was changed at the time of import, or if a folder containing the media did not accompany the GEDCOM file, the media may be missing. A GEDCOM 5.5.1 file only contain the name of the media and way to access the original.
To know more about the GEDCOM format, see What is a GEDCOM?
They are displayed differently if Heredis had the thumbnails or not.
- For a Heredis file where there was a displayed thumbnail, the words “original not found” follows the media name in the media edit window, but you still see its representation.
- For a file where there was no displayed thumbnail, the icon of the media not found is displayed instead of the media.
Find a group of media
Open the Media Index.
1. Click the (Windows) Tools / (Mac) Options button (cogwheel icon) on the toolbar of the Index.
2. Select Check media…
Windows Check Media
Mac Check Media
Heredis reviews all the media in your genealogy and detects, if any:
- media not found following deletion from the Media folder managed by Heredis
- media of which the original has been modified by third party software other than Heredis
- and finally, media for which the original has changed location and is no longer present on your computer.
In the Media check window, you can:
- in the Missing Media tab, designate a folder to search and update these media. Click on Choose folder and update. Indicate the location of the media on your computer.
- in the Original changed tab, select all or part of the media managed by Heredis to update them from the originals. Click on Update the selection.
- in the Missing Original Media tab, specify the folder where your original is located. Click on Choose a folder.
Note: If your media are stored in multiple folders, you will have to do as many times the manipulation to indicate which folder you have folders.
(Windows) Media check window
(Mac) Media check window
If your originals have changed their names, Heredis will not be able to reinstate them automatically. Indeed, the software cannot know that the name of a media have been changed. In this case, see the paragraph below.
Replacing or deleting media
Replace media with other media
You may have assigned two different media but they were the same (an image of a source saved with two different names, the same image on the selected hard drive and in iPhoto …). You may only keep one assigned media but use it several times.
1. Open the Media Index and select the media to be replaced.
Media Index for Windows
Media Index for Mac
2. Click Replace with another Media from… or on the button bar of the display field and choose the duplicate image in the index or the replacement image in its folder on your hard drive.
3. Select the media to be kept and click the Choose button.
The initial media has been replaced by the second for all its uses.
Display the Media panel, or open the Media Index.
- Select the media to remove
- Click the (Remove the selected media) button on the toolbar for media management.
- (Mac) Right-click the media and choose Remove…
- Confirm the deletion of the media with OK.
This will delete the media from your genealogy file. If it had been used, it will no longer appear in the illustrations of data or persons to whom it was assigned.
Export a file containing media
Media are integrated in your genealogy file. When you export a part of your file by creating a new Heredis file, the media assigned to the exported data are integrated into the new file, unless you had unticked the Media box of the Heredis export screen.
When you synchronize your genealogy file with your cellphone or with another computer, they are also integrated in the data.
Export media files
You can extract one or more media from your genealogical file for transmission to other people or for another use on your own computer.
- Double-click on the media to access the edition screen of the media,
1. (Mac) Choose Export This Media… in the right-click menu on the media, or (Mac & Windows) click on the Export selected media button.
(Mac) Export selected media
(Windows) Export selected media
2. Keep the same name or change it and choose the destination location for the exported media.
- In the Media Index,
1. Make a selection of media using the display filters for different types of media or uses. Display for example images used for sources in the submenus.
2. Click the (Windows) Tools / (Mac) Options button on the toolbar of the index and choose Export Displayed Media….
(Mac) Export media from Media index
(Windows) Export media from Media index
3. Select the destination folder for the exported media.
See also The Photo Tool article to know more about media.
- Posted In:
- Use Heredis