Photo Toolhttps://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Heredis - Help Knowledge Base Heredis - Help Knowledge Base https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg
Search Knowledge Base by Keyword
Heredis offers an ideal tool for enriching your Genealogy. Very simple to use, it allows for example, for all genealogists to identify persons in a group photo or in an act and capture faces or signatures.
If the pictures or captures of acts are not perfect, you may correct them with the photo editing tool.
The photo tool is available in your software from the Immediate Family, XXL Family, Personal Data and Family Group Data tabs but also from the Media research panel and from the various indexes.
Select for example the Immediate Family in the Family tab and double-click on the media of the primary person
or click the button if it is in your toolbar
or click on the Tool Menu > Photo Tool
This tool consists of four tabs, Media, Edit, Details and Identification, a display area for the image and input fields to complete media information.
You have information concerning a photo: enter in the input fields the date and notes to clarify the context and thus complement your genealogical data.
If necessary, indicate that this is a private media. Thus, you can avoid transmitting it when exporting or publishing your file: tick the Private Media box.
The Media tab
A list of media appears in this tab in the form of photo thumbnails. This list will depend on the context of launching of the photo tool.
For example, if you run the tool from the thumbnail of the Primary Person in the Immediate Family, the media displayed will be those of the Primary Person.
If you run the tool from a picture of the union in the Immediate Family, Heredis will only list the media for that union.
A zoom slider at the bottom of the tab to the right of media counter allows you to adjust the size of the thumbnail displayed.
You have a series of buttons to act on the media displayed:
• Button : You can add a media from the hard disk, the index or the clipboard.
• Button : press this button to detach the media of the Primary Person without removing it from the Media index.
Info • and buttons are not displayed if you launch the photo tool from the Media index.
• Button: the star symbol identifies the photo you have selected as a favorite. It is this photo which will illustrate the person in question in all documents. Select a thumbnail from the list and click this button to place it as the favorite.
• Show all media linked to primary person button: this button will display all the media concerning the person and you will see the wedding picture or pictures of the Primary Person, as well as those associated with his or her name…
Info • the Star and All Media buttons only appear when you display the media of the Primary Person.
• button: to find a media more easily in the displayed miniatures, you can sort them by name or date.
• button: if you have made a mistake in adding a media, click this button to replace it with another media on your computer.
• button: you have made changes to a photo which do not suit you and you want to go back to the original version of this photo: click the Reload button. Heredis will automatically reload the original picture saved on the computer.
• button: You can save a copy of the displayed picture to the Photo tool on your computer.
The Edit tab
If your photo is not perfect, you can easily modify it. For example, crop the image to remove unwanted parts with the Crop button. When you click the button, a selection box appears on your capture. Adjust the dimension with your mouse cursor by stretching or narrowing one of the 4 corners of the selection area. The cursor changes shape when you position it on the dotted lines of the selection area: hold down the left click and drag the window to move it. When the selection area is adjusted, click Crop. Your image is now well framed.
If you want to orientate your photo in any other way, rotate the image in the right direction by using the orientation buttons Rotate Left Button, Rotate Right button. You may flip the image horizontally with the Horizontal Flip button but also vertically with the Vertical Flip button.
With Heredis, you do not need any other software to embellish your photos. You can adjust brightness, contrast, or definition to sharpen an image to its true value.
You can also change a color photo to black and white by clicking the button but also reverse the colors of the photo by clicking on the button .
Do not hesitate to try different changes, because you can always return to the original photo with the Cancel button.
Once your image is satisfactory, you may confirm the changes by clicking the Apply button.
The Details tab
With this tab, Heredis informs you of the different uses of the image displayed and shows you where the original is located on your computer. If you click on the displayed path, (PC) Windows Explorer / (MAC) Finder will open.
The Identification tab
From this tab, you can identify persons in a group photo or persons named in an act by cutting out their photos or signatures. If you then navigate through your software, you will see that the cut portraits or signatures illustrate persons with whom they are associated.
Using your mouse, enclose the people on the picture in the display area. Position the mouse cursor over a person, hold down the left mouse button and draw a cut-out frame around the person. When you release the left click, Heredis instantly offers to search the index of persons of your genealogy for the person in question.
If you know this person, type in the given name or surname or both. Immediately Heredis displays the list of persons with this name and forename or variations in your file. Select the person from the list and click Choose.
If you know this person, but he is not present in your genealogy, click the Create Person button to create the person directly from this screen.
If you do not recognize this person, click the Unknown Person button to indicate that this person is an unknown person. Should you publish this group photo at a later date, an internet user may identify this person and communicate the information to you.
A frame appears around the person. You can always adjust this frame at any moment.
When you place the mouse pointer on the contours of the frame, it changes its appearance. By holding down your mouse, you can move the frame. By touching the corners of the frame, you can enlarge it or reduce its size to make it fit perfectly.
To the left of the photo, the list of numbered frames appears progressively as you identify the different persons in the photo.
An indented wheel appears when you move your mouse over the media in the list. If you click this button, you have access to the following functions:
• Remove the Frame: you have made a mistake, select this menu to simply remove it. Note that all the frames are automatically renumbered.
• Rename the framed picture : Heredis automatically assigns a name to the media which you have just created and if the name does not suit you, you can change it.
• Re-Identify: if you have identified a person as unknown or you have made a mistake concerning the person, you can always assign to this frame the right person in your genealogy file.
• Export the framed image: You can save the newly created image managed by Heredis to your computer.
All images are stored directly in the Media Index. They are also assigned automatically to the media of the identified person.
Click the Hide Frames button at the bottom of this tab to display only the frames numbers in the display area of the image.
You can print the picture as displayed in the image display area by clicking the Print button. Specify the print options and click OK. The document opens in your usual word processor.
Take this printed document along with you during visits to your family: the people around you will enjoy your work and perhaps identify unknown persons in the group photo.
Once you have identified all persons in a group photo, share it in your online photo album on Heredis Online through the Publish button.
Info • When you browse and launch the photo tool for a person with whom you have associated a signature for example, Heredis indicates above the display area of the image that the media selected has been cut from another picture. If you click the Display the Original link, it will be displayed in the image display area. If you want to hide it, click the Hide Original link.
You cannot recut a picture that has already been cut out.
Some editing functions are not available for a group photo if you have already identified persons in this picture.
If you close your genealogy file without saving, all edits, cut-out photos and signatures… will be lost.