Your Data

Your Data 150 150 Heredis Help Knowledgebase

Can I recover data entered in the trial version?

The data you have started to enter in the trial version have been saved to a file in Heredis format (.hmw), which you may of course recover with the full version of the software.

How? You have given a name to this file when you entered the data.

(Windows) If this name does not appear on the home page, you may find it on the hard disk by using the “Search on the disk” function.

(Mac) If this name does not appear on the home page, use the Finder, select the hard drive disk of your computer and enter .hmw in the search bar. Your Finder will show you all Heredis’ file on your computer. Double-click on the file to open it.

Can I recover the data entered in another genealogy software?

You may recover data entered in another genealogy software by first exporting your file from this software to a Gedcom format, use UTF-8 encoded if possible.
This Gedcom file may then be opened and converted automatically to the Heredis format on the Heredis home page.See also What is a GEDCOM file?, Import a GEDCOM in an existing file and Open a GEDCOM file in a new file.

If you had a previous version of Heredis, just open the file with the new version and it will convert itself. If it doesn’t it might be because your file comes from a too old version of Heredis, contact us through our contact form and we will convert it for you.

Can I transfer my genealogical data? I switched from Mac to PC (or PC to Mac), how do I keep using Heredis?

When switching platforms (Mac to PC or PC to Mac), prior to Heredis 2017, the file was not cross-platform compatible. Please contact us via the contact form so we can perform the conversion for you. Specify the version and platform in which your file was created, then the version and platform you want to switch it to.

Starting with Heredis 2017, data is fully compatible across all platforms, so all you need to do is install Heredis and open your file.

What are my rights and obligations when publishing?

When data is older than 120 years in the rest of the world, this does not raise any concern.

Nominative data less than 120 years old, just like data related to any living person, is considered personal data. It cannot be disclosed without the consent of the person it pertains to. Any request for the removal of personal data should be made to the author, i.e. the genealogist who submitted the data online.