Since Heredis 2017: How to share a genealogy?https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg 150 150 Heredis - Help Knowledge Base Heredis - Help Knowledge Base https://help.heredis.com/wp-content/themes/corpus/images/empty/thumbnail.jpg
Since Heredis 2017: How to share a genealogy?
Share a genealogy with Heredis
The « Share on local network » function allows you to transfer, update or save your genealogy on another device. It is more efficient than manual backup as:
- Only modified data is transmitted, so it is very fast.
- You can share your genealogy between two PCs, two Macs or devices running on other platforms (PC, Mac, iPhone or iPad, Android). To do this, use your WiFi network.
Which versions of Heredis offer sharing?
Sharing is possible between machines with at least Heredis 2017.
For example, you can share your Heredis 2017 genealogy for Mac with Heredis 2017 for Windows. All these versions are compatible with Heredis iOS (available in the AppStore) and with the Android app.
How to share a genealogy?
After installing a compatible version of Heredis on all your machines, you can exchange data between your different devices, under two conditions:
- The genealogy file must be opened on the device from which you start sharing.
- Heredis must be launched and left open on the home page on the remote device.
Your devices must be connected to the same WiFi or Ethernet network. Warning, your iPhone, iPad, Android mobile or tablet must not be wired to your computer, the WiFi must be activated.
Do not manually create the genealogy file on the destination device.
The sharing function of Heredis will do so. It is possible that the first sharing will take longer since all your genealogical data and media associated with the file will be transferred. Next time you will share your file, it will be much faster since only the added/ modified media will be transferred along with your data to the destination device.
Share your file from a PC, a Mac, an iOS or an Android device
- From a PC or a Mac, click on the button in the toolbar or select the menu File > Share on the local network.
- From an iOS device, click the Tools button on the toolbar and then click Share on local network
- From an Android device, click on Share on local network button
Heredis displays the list of devices connected to your local network and running a compatible version of Heredis.
- Select a device available in the list and click on the Share button to link the genealogy with the selected device. The remote unit then receives a sharing request
On the remote device, accept the sharing request. For the first sharing, Heredis copies all the data of the open genealogy file as well as the media.
Your genealogy is now linked to two devices, the computer from which you initiated the sharing request and the selected remote device.
Make changes and save new data from a PC, a Mac, an iOS or an Android device
- On the remote Mac or PC, Heredis automatically alerts you a newer version of your file is available.
In this window. Key information of the file are displayed (modification dates, number of persons, last persons modified) allowing you to compare them with those of the open file.
- On iOS or Android device, you won’t be automatically alerted and you will have to click on Share on local network button, select the remote device and then click on Click to receive the file from remote device to get the latest version of your family tree.
If you accept to receive the modified file, Heredis updates the family tree with the data entered or modified on the remote device. Only genealogical data or media that has been modified, or added, will be transmitted.
Note: In order for the information to be shared, the genealogy file must be saved. Do not concurrently update your genealogy on both connected devices because you will not be able to keep changes made on both sides.
Heredis will always offer you to receive the most recent file. If you agree to receive the latter, changes made to the least recent file will be lost.
If you no longer want to share your file with a remote device:
- From a PC or a Mac select the File menu > Share on local network, select the device and click the Stop sharing button.
- From an iOS device, click the Tools button on the toolbar > Share on local network then select the remote device and click on Stop sharing the file button
- From an Android device, click on Share on local network button then select the remote device and click on Stop sharing the file button.
The device in question will no longer receive notifications concerning updates to this genealogy.
You can reactivate this sharing at any time by clicking again on Share on local network.